May is National Myositis Awareness Month! In 2023, The Myositis Association continues our quest to support our patients and care partners in moving “Beyond Limits”, as we work all month long to create broader community awareness, direct our members to TMA offerings and resources, educate around patient and disease advocacy, share clinical insights, and build a stronger and more connected myositis community.
This May, we’ll give you some powerful tools to tell your story, support each other, expand the world’s understanding of myositis, and, in doing so, shorten the wait between symptoms and diagnosis. Ultimately, your efforts will also speed up the search for better treatments and a cure.
With your help, we can educate the community and the world!
Myositis Awareness Month Events
We have a lot going on at The Myositis Association this May. Our 2023 theme, “Beyond Limits”, will put our members on their path to true leadership. Check out upcoming events below:
May 4 – VALOR study focused on DM by Proviant Therapeutics
May 9 – Myositis Research Webinar with Helene Alexanderson, PhD
May 18 – Ask the Doc with Elie Naddaf, MD
May 20 – 2023 Virtual Summit
May 31 – Empowerment Clinic: Getting a Good Night’s Sleep
Ways to Celebrate Myositis Awareness Month
Will you join us in raising awareness of myositis by informing your friends, family, and the public about myositis? There are a few easy ways to raise awareness this May—and all year round.
- Tell your story: Take every opportunity to talk about myositis to your friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors. Share the impact of myositis, your struggles and your victories. Check out myositis patient stories for inspiration. Whenever a larger patient group solicits from patients with chronic disease, be there with a story so that myositis can be represented.
- Post on social media: Use your social network to spread the word around myositis. Use hashtags #myositis, #TMA, #themyositisassociation. Like, comment, follow and share other patients’ facebook pages, instagrams and tweets. Offer support every chance you get to build a compassionate and supportive community. And don’t forget TMA’s on facebook, twitter and instagram!
- Collaborate with your physicians: Many myositis patients are first diagnosed and referred to a specialist by dermatologists, internists, family doctors, and nurse practitioners. Reach out to healthcare providers in your community with information about myositis, like that in TMA’s Physician’s Guide to Myositis, to help them with diagnosis and treatment. Tell your physician about the Myositis Tracker, a way for patients to keep daily records of their progress and symptoms. We now have a guide for dermatologists to identify some rashes on people of color, the Pantone project.
- Become a member: Join us as a TMA Member to help you stay up-to-date and share myositis news, research, clinical trials, and more all year long. Plus, you’ll have access to our support groups to build your own myositis community.
- TMA can help: Find Patient Support, with all kinds of tips; our library of educational materials, and our growing collection of infographics.
- Contribute: Love what The Myositis Association does? Make a gift, either directly to TMA, or through one of the many campaigns initiated by TMA members, to help advance our mission and ongoing education efforts.
See how TMA Members have celebrate in the past!
- Holly Jones, TMA Community Member
- Marianne Moyer, TMA Community Member
- Pat & Kim Murray, TMA Community Members
- Vance Robinson, TMA Community Member
A Patient’s Story
- Lisa Motley, TMA Community Member
- Michael Kerin (Myositis Mike), TMA Community Member
- Dave Mochel, TMA Community Member
Attend TMA’s Virtual Summit
On Saturday May 20, 2023, from 10:00 am – 6:00 pm EST, TMA will host the 2023 Myositis Virtual Summit! Join us for a day of workshops and learning opportunities highlighting the “Beyond Limits” theme. We will also offer clinical and scientific updates, opportunities to connect with others in the myositis community, and access to our corporate partners and exhibitors!
Click here for more details!
Spread the Word on Social Media
Use your social network to show your support and help us spread the word. Download and share our social media resources to amplify the stories of those living with myositis and their loved ones and educate your friends and family.
Helpful Awareness Resources
To get an overview of what myositis is and what it can entail, take a look at the following resources before getting started with your awareness campaign. You might even share these resources with physicians and other professionals through your outreach.
- About Myositis and Diagnosis
- The TMA Myositis Library
- Myositis 101: Your Guide to Understanding Myositis
- The Physician’s Guide to Myositis
- TMA Infographics
Thank you for your help and support in raising awareness for myositis. If you have any questions about what you can do to help or need additional resources, please do not hesitate to contact our team. We’re always happy to help however we can.