May is National Myositis Awareness Month! Celebrate with us by helping to educate the public and healthcare community about myositis.
On average, it takes more than three-and-a-half years and five doctors to receive a correct autoimmune disease diagnosis. Myositis patients—including frantic parents of drastically weakened children—find that a great deal of damage is done during this wait.
This May, we’re using our community’s powerful voices and patient stories to shorten the wait. Raising awareness of myositis, its symptoms, and treatments could help more myositis patients and families find an accurate diagnosis sooner.
Ways to Celebrate Myositis Awareness Month
Will you join us in raising awareness of myositis by informing your friends, family, and the public about myositis? There are a few easy ways to raise awareness this May—and all year round.
- Myositis Awareness Month Press Releases: TMA press releases.
- Tell your story: Take this opportunity to talk about myositis to your friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors. Share the impact of myositis and easy ways to offer support. Check out myositis patient stories for inspiration.
- Start a fundraiser: We make it easy to run your own campaign in order to raise funds for myositis awareness and support.
- Contribute to our fundraiser: Love what The Myositis Association does? Make a gift to help advance our mission and ongoing education efforts.
- Post on social media: Use your social network to spread the word about myositis. See the guide below for post ideas and hashtags.
- Call physicians: Reach out to general practitioners and other healthcare providers with information about myositis, like the Physician’s Guide to Myositis, to help with diagnosis and treatment.
- Become a member: Join us as a TMA member to help you stay up-to-date and share myositis news, research, clinical trials, and more all year long. Plus, you’ll have access to our support groups to build your own myositis community.
- Meet the myositis community at our conference: The 2019 Annual Patient Conference will address the diversity of needs and challenges within the myositis community. See the event details and register.
- Stay up to date: We’ll be posting updates and spreading awareness about myositis on our blog all month long.
Download the Awareness Guide
To help you along, we pulled together a guide full of resources and information on raising awareness for myositis.Download Myositis Awareness Guide
Get the Facts About Women of Color and Myositis
Listen to Elisa Glass talk about her journey to a diagnosis of and life with dermatomyositis.
Women of color are disproportionately affected by myositis diseases. African American myositis patients also often have more severe cases of myositis, such as cases including antisynthetase syndrome and necrotizing myopathy, than European-American myositis patients. Get the facts by downloading our Women of Color fact sheet.Download the Fact Sheet
Spread the Word on Social Media
Use your social network to show your support and help us spread the word. Download and share our social media resources to amplify the stories of those living with myositis and their loved ones and educate your friends and family.Download Your Social Media Graphics
Helpful Awareness Resources
To get an overview of what myositis is and what it can entail, take a look at the following resources before getting started with your awareness campaign. You might even share these resources with physicians and other professionals through your outreach.
- About Myositis and Diagnosis
- The TMA Myositis Library
- Myositis 101: Your Guide to Understanding Myositis
- The Physician’s Guide to Myositis
Myositis Awareness Month Events
We have a lot going on at The Myositis Association this May. Many of our support groups are celebrating myositis awareness month in person. Check out upcoming events below:
- SW Florida Support Group Meeting on May 4 in Bradenton, FL
- A Myositis Awareness Month webinar on May 8 at 12 noon ET
- San Francisco Giants Baseball Game on May 11 in San Francisco, CA
- VA/WV/NE North Carolina Support Group eeting on May 11 in Fredericksburg, VA
- New Mexico, and NW Texas Group Support Meeting on May 11 in Las Cruces, NM
- San Diego Support Group Meeting on May 13 in San Diego, CA
- “Reproductive Issues in Myositis and Overview of Sexual Health in Autoimmune Disorders”
on May 14 in New York, NY
- Myositis Awareness Event on May 15 in Nashville, TN
- Georgia KIT Support Group Meeting on May 18 in Lawrenceville, GA
- Michigan Support Group Meeting on May 18 in Grand Rapids, MI
- New Mexico, and NW Texas Group Support Meeting on May 18 in Albuquerque, NM
- SW FL Support Group Awareness symposium for local PTs and OTs on May 23 in Sarasota, FL
- New Mexico, and NW Texas Group Support Meeting on May 25 in Amarillo, TX
Thank you for your help and support in raising awareness for myositis. If you have any questions about what you can do to help or need additional resources, please do not hesitate to contact our team. We’re always happy to help however we can.