May is National Myositis Awareness Month! Celebrate with us by learning how to educate your community about myositis. With our 2021 theme, “A Call to Action,” we’re focusing on supporting and mentoring members on their path to true leadership.
It’s common for myositis patients to wait more than three-and-a-half years and see five doctors before receiving a correct diagnosis. We’ve seen plenty of examples of significant disease damage during this wait, not to mention the worry and stress it causes patients and their families.
This May, we’ll give you some powerful tools to tell your story, support each other, expand the world’s understanding of myositis, and, in doing so, shorten the wait between symptoms and diagnosis. Ultimately, your efforts will also speed up the search for better treatments and a cure.
With your help, we can educate the community and the world!
Ways to Celebrate Myositis Awareness Month
Will you join us in raising awareness of myositis by informing your friends, family, and the public about myositis? There are a few easy ways to raise awareness this May—and all year round.
- Tell your story: Take every opportunity to talk about myositis to your friends, family, colleagues, and neighbors. Share the impact of myositis, your struggles and your victories. Check out myositis patient stories for inspiration. Whenever a larger patient group solicits from patients with chronic disease, be there with a story so that myositis can be represented.
- Contribute: Love what The Myositis Association does? Make a gift, either directly to TMA, or through one of the many campaigns initiated by TMA members, to help advance our mission and ongoing education efforts.
- Post on social media: Use your social network to spread the word around myositis. Use hashtags #myositis, #TMA, #themyositisassociation. Like, comment, follow and share other patients’ facebook pages, instagrams and tweets. Offer support every chance you get to build a compassionate and supportive community. And don’t forget TMA’s facebook and twitter. We’re now on instagram, too!
- Collaborate with your physicians: Many myositis patients are first diagnosed and referred by dermatologist, family doctors and nurse practitioners. Reach out to healthcare providers in your community with information about myositis, like that Physician’s Guide to Myositis, help with diagnosis and treatment. Tell your physician about the Myositis Tracker, a way for patients to keep daily records of their progress and symptoms. We now have a guide for dermatologists to identify some rashes on people of color, the Pantone project.
- Become a member: Join us as a TMA Member to help you stay up-to-date and share myositis news, research, clinical trials, and more all year long. Plus, you’ll have access to our support groups to build your own myositis community.
- TMA can help: Find our Myositis Awareness Month guide, with all kinds of tips, our Spring Newsletter with special advocacy section; our library of educational materials, and our growing collection of infographics.
Attend TMA’s Virtual Summit (Upcoming!!)
On Saturday May 22, 2021, from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm EST, TMA will host the 2021 Myositis Virtual Summit! Join us for a day of workshops and learning opportunities highlighting the “A Call To Action” theme. We will also offer clinical and scientific updates, opportunities to connect with others in the myositis community, and access to our corporate partners and exhibitors!
Click here for more details!
Spread the Word on Social Media
Use your social network to show your support and help us spread the word. Download and share our social media resources to amplify the stories of those living with myositis and their loved ones and educate your friends and family.
Download the Awareness Guide
To help you along, we pulled together a guide full of resources and information on raising awareness for myositis.
Helpful Awareness Resources
To get an overview of what myositis is and what it can entail, take a look at the following resources before getting started with your awareness campaign. You might even share these resources with physicians and other professionals through your outreach.
- About Myositis and Diagnosis
- The TMA Myositis Library
- Myositis 101: Your Guide to Understanding Myositis
- The Physician’s Guide to Myositis
- TMA Infographics
Myositis Awareness Month Events
We have a lot going on at The Myositis Association this May. Many of our support groups are celebrating myositis awareness month with virtual meetings. Check out upcoming events below:
Thank you for your help and support in raising awareness for myositis. If you have any questions about what you can do to help or need additional resources, please do not hesitate to contact our team. We’re always happy to help however we can.