As a young child, Joseph Berretone struggled with JM. For the last ten years, however, the freshman at Duquesne University has been in remission. In an effort to help other kids who live with myositis, each year his family hosts the “Strike Out Myositis” Bowling event in Devon, Pennsylvania. This year, the 5th Annual event raised more than $7,000 to support The Myositis Association programs.

Over the past 16 years, the Joseph’s family has raised more than $850,000, with 75% of this funding going directly to support juvenile myositis research through the TMA Research Program. The remaining 25% is dedicated to supporting TMA’s other myositis programming.

“We are so very close to reaching our $1 million goal,” says Joseph’s mother Monica Pedano, who organizes the event. “Someday we will find a cure for this debilitating disease.”

Individuals who want to join this family’s effort to “Strike Out Myositis” can start their own TMA fundraiser or contact TMA’s Director of Development and Strategic Partnerships, Tricha Shivas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *