There is good news for IBM patients who want to participate in the arimoclomol clinical trial. Pharmaceutical company Orphazyme recently announced the addition of several new clinical sites for the trial. This makes a total of five places in the US where eligible patients can participate.
Arimoclomol is an experimental drug that is believed to stimulate normal protein repair in the cell. Damaged proteins, called aggregates, are thought to play a role in IBM. Early clinical trials with this compound have shown promise in patients with IBM, and many TMA members have been eagerly awaiting the start of this larger, multi-center trial.
The following sites in the US are currently accepting participants:
- University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts
- The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- Nerve and Muscle Center of Texas, Houston, Texas
- University of Kansas, Kansas City, Kansas (We understand that this site is already full, however.)
University College of London in the UK is also accepting participants.
Please see ClinicalTrials.gov for inclusion criteria and contact information for site coordinators. More sites are expected to come online soon, and TMA will update members when they do.